The Ohtani Education Foundation, which runs Osaka Ohtani University, has its origins in a sewing school for girls based in the Namba branch of Higashi Honganji Temple, central Osaka. From this humble beginning, the institution has grown and expanded to incorporate two high schools and middle schools established in 1948, a women’s Junior College, founded in 1950, and the University, which began as a single faculty institution for the education of young women in 1966.
Summary of historical developments
|1909||Ohtani Women’s Dress Making School is founded by SATO Ryōshū in the compound of Higashi Honganji Temple Namba Branch.|
|1911||The school becomes Ohtani Girls School.|
|1931||The school moves a few kilometers southwards to its present site near Tennoji.|
|1948||The original girls school is separated into Ohtani High School and Middle School, and Higashi Ohtani High School and Middle School.|
|1950||Ohtani Women’s Junior College is established.|
|1966||Ohtani Women’s University, Faculty of Literature (Japanese Department and English Department) is established in Tondabayashi.|
|1969||Ohtani Kindergarten is established.|
|1970||The Department of Children’s Education is established.|
|1973||Completion of the University Library.|
|1975||Establishment of the Graduate School (Department of Japanese Literature and Department of English Literature) for the degree of Master of Arts.|
|1978||Establishment of the Graduate School (Department of Japanese Literature and Department of English Literature) for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy.|
|1995||Completion of the Music Building.|
|1999||Completion of the Museum.|
|2000||Establishment of the Department of Cultural Properties and Department of Community Studies.
The Department of Children’s Education becomes the Department of Education and Social Welfare.
|2004||The Department of Education and Social Welfare becomes the Faculty of Education and Social Welfare.
The Department of Cultural Properties opens Master and Doctoral courses in the Graduate School.
|2005||Establishment of the Faculty of Human and Social Sciences.|
|2006||Establishment of the Faculty of Pharmacy. The university becomes co-educational.|
|2012||Establishment of Department of Sports and Health Sciences within the Faculty of Human and Social Sciences.|
|2013||Higashi Ohtani High School moves to Sakai city and becomes co-educational.|
|2014||The Department of Cultural Properties becomes the Department of History and Culture.
A satellite campus is opened in Harukas, a new landmark building.
|2016||50th anniversary of the foundation of the university.|
|2019||Establishment of the Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Doctoral course in Pharmacy.|
|2020||Completion of the new Gymnasium|